- Real Estate
- Real Estate Litigation
- Land Use
- Business Organizations, Transactions, and Litigation
- Commercial & Civil Litigation
- Catholic University of America
- George Mason University School of Law
Admissions and Affiliations
- Virginia Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Roy Shannon is a partner at RRBMDK, LLP where he represents clients in real estate and business matters, as well as commercial and civil litigation.
Roy’s real estate practice involves representing clients in real estate transactions, land use proceedings (board of zoning appeals, planning commissions, City/Town Councils, Boards of Supervisors, and historic architectural review boards), landlord-tenant issues, adjacent neighbor disputes, construction defects, broker/agent licensee matters, and all aspects of real estate litigation.
His business law practice includes representing business owners and businesses with entity formation, fiduciary responsibilities, corporate governance, third-party transactions, and dispute resolution.
Roy has extensive experience representing clients in state and federal court at both the trial and appellate levels. He appears on behalf of clients in administrative and regulatory proceedings, including professional association hearings and community association (HOA and Condo) matters. He also represents clients in arbitration and mediation proceedings.
Prior to entering private practice, Roy served as Clerk of the Court for the U.S. Coast Guard Court of Criminal Appeals for three years.
Roy is a native of the Washington area, where he attended St. Johns High School. He currently lives Alexandria, Virginia with his wife and their five young children. Roy spends his free time coaching youth sports, attending school events, and relaxing on the Bay or in the backyard.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Chair, Alexandria Community Services Board (2014-present)
Member, Alexandria Community Services Board (2009-present)
Federal Bar Association
Virginia State Bar (Real Property Section, Business Section, & Litigation Section)
Virginia Bar Association (Real Estate Section, Business Section, & Civil Ligation Section)
Northern Virginia Association of Realtors® Attorney Roundtable
Alexandria Bar Association
Advanced Trial Tactics – June 2013
Opening Statements and Direct Examinations
Litigating Disputes Over Easements and Restrictive Covenants – April 2014
– Investigation: What Crucial Evidence Are You Looking For?
– Drafting Descriptions and Agreements to Avoid Disputes
– Case Law Update
Landlord-Tenant Law in Virginia – September 2014
– Panel Discussion
Practical Guide to Zoning and Land Use Law – July 2015
– Challenging or Appealing an Administrative Zoning Decision
Real Estate Litigation in Virginia – May 2016
– Litigation Issues Arising in Real Estate Transactions
– Pretrial Considerations in Real Estate Litigation
Land Use Law: Current Issues in Subdivision, Zoning and More – July 2016
– Analyze the Land Subdivision Process
Land Use and Zoning Law – July 2017
– Planning Board/Zoning Board of Appeal Hearings and Challenging Adverse Decisions
Road and Easement Law from A to Z – April 2018
– An Easement Case – Litigation and Trial Preparation